Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Introducing Lucy Adelyn Ward

Meet Ms. Lucy Adelyn Ward, born November 27,  2012
Isn't she adorable?

The story of Lucy's birth

I was very lucky and had a very easy pregnancy with Lucy.  The only time I got morning sickness was in Hawaii, on the battleship Missouri, which is docked....what? I also was able to work till the end of my pregnancy. In fact, I worked on my due date. Impressed? You should be. My biggest craving was chocolate milk.  I drank a lot of it.  I gained 30 lbs and people kept telling me I looked small despite how I felt.  About half way through the pregnancy, I started measuring small and we made a visit to the neonatologist who told me she looked great, just a little small. My pregnancy continued without incident till the day she was due and didn't come.  Contractions? you ask. Not a one. I was scheduled for an induction for Sunday, 5 days after my due date. 3 days later than they originally told me crushing my hopes and dreams. We had flown Dwynie, my mother in law, into town to help when the baby was born.  So Dwynie, Andrew and I spent the next week waiting. And waiting some more.  Contractions? you ask. Not a one.  I was big, uncomfortable, had low back pain and was not sleeping well. I was just overall miserable. Sunday finally came.  I got up at 5:00am to shower so we could be at the hospital by 7:00.  While I was in the shower the hospital called to tell me my induction had to be postponed because the hospital was full.  I was devastated.  We tried to stay busy by going to stores and walking around. It was the longest day of my life.  Finally, at 5:00pm they called.  I could go in!
Here we are. On our way to the hospital to have baby Lucy....

Look how excited I look.  We get to the hospital and they hook me up to all the monitors and the nurse checked me to see what I was dilated to. Lucy's heart rate dropped and the nurse pushed her panic button and about 6 nurses were in the room and I had oxygen and and IV placed in no time at all.  Her heart rate returned to normal and all was well but it was a scary start to my first baby.  Even being a nurse.  We then began the induction process which began with cervical gels.  This was a new thing to me.  I thought, induction=epidural=pitocin.  Nope.  We started with the first of three gels which they very forcefully/painfully put onto your cervix.  We then let it sit for 1 hour and then we get up to walk around for an hour.  Luckily, we live in Arizona and it was warm outside so we walked around in the hospital garden that was lit with beautiful white lights. Contractions? you ask. Yep. They finally started with the first gel and got progressively worse with each gel. By the third gel,  I could only make it a couple of steps before I had to stop for a contraction.  Problem was, I was not progressing or dilating. So they sent me home.  At 4am. What! What part of my birth plan of epidural+pitocin=baby did you not understand.  I was really frustrated.  I was now 6 days overdue and I got sent home from the hospital still contracting.  I was miserable.  I had a doctors appointment the next morning at 9am so a few awful hours later we were off to the doctor.  The doctor decided to check me.  I was still at 3 cm-no progress.  So she decided to strip my membranes(for like the hundredth time in the last 24 hours) It was the most painful thing ever.  I finally broke down and started crying in the office.  I think she felt bad for me because she offered to call me that night for an induction if they weren't busy.  And then I was sent home. Again. At about 4 in the afternoon they called me to come in. Finally.

They hooked me up and started the IV.  Now, I thought, I get the epidural. Nope.  Wrong again.  They started the Pitocin and told me I had to go as long as possible without the epidural.  I am not really sure what part of my birth plan of epidural they didn't understand.  I lasted about 2 hours before I was done and was asking very politely (ahem) for the epidural.  After a little hesitation nurse finally called and the anesthesiologist came.  Bless that man.  I finally got my epidural and it was wonderful.  I do have to admit it is the weirdest feeling in the world.  My legs were totally gone. My labor progressed really well after that.  My water broke and I didn't even notice till I touched my leg and it was all wet.  It was finally time to push at about 2am.  I started pushing, it took me a little while to figure it out but I finally did.  Lucy's heart rate kept dropping, I had oxygen on and at one point I was on my side pushing with my legs in the air.  I was so tired from the past few days shenanigans, I was trying to take small naps in between contractions.  The moment of truth came and Andrew got to catch Lucy.  She came out with her hand next to her face and started crying even before she was all the way out. That is quite possibly the best moment in a mothers life, meeting the little angel who has been living inside of you for 9 months(plus a little)
6 lbs 11 oz

 Look at her cute feet

Baby Lucy Arrived at 3:23 am on November 27,  2012

No comments: