Thursday, August 14, 2008

why we should ban smoking

Working in the ER I have the blessed opportunity to see and meet all the....colorful...people of the world. My most recent experience was a fellow who was drunk enough to kill me three or four times over. This is the first problem. My little friend now gets me to babysit him because he is so drunk. He can't stand up without stumbling and has a black eye, previous stitches, many lacs so on and so forth. Lets just say that this isn't this guys first rodeo. About every 5 minutes this guy wants to go smoke a cigarrette and the fact that he can't walk is only one of many factors of why we won't let him, death is real high up there too. He also doesn't seem to remember 5 min ago when i told him no. After about an hour an a half of this he gets up and goes into the corner. Being that its happened more than once I think that he is peeing on the floor. So I go in there and he is not peeing but he is unrolling the cigarretes in his pocket and has a handful of tobacco in his hand. "What are you going to do with that I ask?" "I am gonna chew it!" Has it really come to this point that if you are not allowed to smoke for and hour you are going to put the cigarrete with all the toxins into your mouth. This seems like a good idea. And does that even work!!!! I slapped his hand and all the carcinogenic tobacco fell to the floor and our 5min routine began again. All though this is bad it doesn't compare to the guy at LDS who was in a C-collar, on a backboard(strapped down), with oxygen and a nasal cannula who lit up inside the emergency room because he needed his hit. Maybe we need to get the word out that OXYGEN IS FLAMMIBLE! And many have tried and burned their faces off because of this addiction. It is a sad but true fact that it has come to this point. This is why we should ban smoking, for my sanity.

2 comments:

Nate and Di said...

Amen sister! They actually did ban smoking from Dartmouth's Hospital! I was there the other day and this jerky guy was out front smoking and everyone was getting upset and he said "I sure am enjoying the cigarette!" I thought I really mean thought and then just drove away before I said it out loud!:)

Angie said...

Sometimes I kind of think it's Darwin....eventually they're all going to kill themselves